Monday, July 12, 2010

SEX AND THE CITY 2

Voiceover:


And then it hit me, that Jay-Z song is cold. And that’s when I realized, I need to download it right away. And then I understood, the title sequence’s equation of buildings and bling reminds us that Carrie and Co. aren’t in New York, they are New York, their bodies are the city as truly as it is them. And that’s when it hit me, anyone who says there’s no sex in this movie has no idea what sex really is—institution and demolition. And then all at once I realized, our particular local terror is a terror of singularity. And that’s when it hit me, this fear’s manifest symptom was the twinning of the Towers. And then suddenly I realized, this is why there are the four women, so that’s one’s eyes may slide continuously from one to the next, and indeed must, since to look too long at any is to risk a dazzlement admittedly to be cherished in the blinded aftermath. And then just like that I realized, perfection is banal and excess marks the presence of the divine. And then I wondered, why are they in Abu Dhabi, and who is that guy again? And that’s when I knew, oh yeah, it’s the philosopher DJ from Northern Exposure. And then also suddenly it hit me, they never go to Abu Dhabi at all but to New York, but New York as the desert of the real, its splendor intact but stark, exposed, flickering beside the chasm of pure absence. And then I realized, Big is like Shrek in his frustration with children’s birthday parties, and that they are also sort of a similar body type and pallor. And then I wondered, what if, on 9/11, Big had been at work? And then it hit me, he was. And just like that I realized, there is an elegy at the heart of this humble farce. And that’s when it fell on me like a ton of bricks, Miranda is exquisite and Samantha is stunning and Charlotte is gorgeous, but Carrie is tragically beautiful. And then I realized, she blames herself for not saving him, for not tempting him away from that doomed pyre with what Samantha might call her pussy power. And then I saw as if through a glass darkly, her penance is to be the Slut to the Forbidden. And suddenly it became evident, her endless epiphanies are the children born from the seed of Big’s ghost, flowing from him through her to make fruitful again the dry, parched earth locked in concrete and pain. And all at once it broke over me, Alicia Keys makes the song oh-so-warm. And that’s when I suddenly understood, any diamond’s journey—from free carbon to bound pressure, from dark mantle to humid air, from exploited hands to glamorous debut—is itself what cuts and clears it, and excites the shrieking light. And then it hit me, the lights had come on, Madeleine was like, Are you coming or what? And then I realized, the movie hadn’t ended, and couldn’t, since the very city awaited us beyond the theater doors. And then I grasped it, as surely as the girls adore shoes, how one way or the other, when the time comes, someone’s going to have to be the last one standing in this place. And then I knew, watch your back everyone, because as far as I’m concerned it’s gotta be me and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment